Michigan Traders Post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Michigan Traders Post

Trading classifieds (Changing the way we buy). Open to all items under the sun. Plans for a monthly trade show are in progress. Show will be held in Muskegon County

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

King directly asked Perot i

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
ChjpHunter

King directly asked Perot i Empty
PostSubject: King directly asked Perot i   King directly asked Perot i Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 1:18 pm

Perot was a hawk on the Vietnam War, an advocate for Americans held as prisoner of war and a supporter for their families. During the war, he aided soldiers by providing supplies and holding rallies for those returning home.[10][5] In public affairs, he led the Texas War on Drugs Committee in 1979 at the behest of Republican Governor Bill Clements, and was put in charge of the Select Committee on Public Education in 1983 by Democratic Governor Mark White.[8] Perot's most dear political effort involved the Vietnam War POW/MIA issue. He worked extensively to free soldiers that he believed had been left behind, and even engaged in secret diplomatic talks with the Vietnamese government, to the chagrin of the Reagan White House.[11] Perot had been supportive of President Ronald Reagan and labeled him as a "great president" in 1986. He even pledged $2.5 million to support his presidential library, but the relationship soured after Perot was sent on a trip to Hanoi, and determined afterwards that the administration was not taking the POW/MIA issue seriously. He revoked his pledge to the library in 1987, based on the POW/MIA issue as well as his disillusionment from the administration's actions during the Iran–Contra affair.[12] He became a critic of the George H. W. Bush administration, and opposed the 1991 Gulf War.[5]
[edit]Initial campaign

Ross Perot appeared on the February 20 edition of Larry King Live on CNN, his fourth appearance on the show since 1991.[13] After a lively interview concerning political issues,
f there was "any scenario in which [he] would run for president."[14] Perot firmly stated that he did not want to run, but spontaneously affirmed that he would begin a campaign if "ordinary people" signed petitions and helped him achieve ballot access in all 50 states.[15] He set up a phone bank at his office on March 12, staffed with volunteers to inform interested voters and supporters on how they could assist Perot's potential campaign.[16] Supporters viewed the candidate as an "action man ... who can get things done ... [and who] takes care of his people".[17] They were angry at President Bush for reneging on his promise not to raise taxes.[17] The New York Times speculated that Perot's "iconoclastic, take-no-prisoners persona and anti-politics politics"[18] would appeal to the "angry frustrated electorate".[18] But Republican consultant Karl Rove characterized Perot as an "untested wild man".[18] He rejected any financial donations for more than $5,[19] and stated that he would personally fund a potential campaign.[20] Perot spent $400,000 of his own money in the first month,[21] however, he largely spread this message via television, capped by a March 18 National Press Club speech, which aired on C-SPAN.[22]

green energy directory
פסיכומטרי
Back to top Go down
nirvana

King directly asked Perot i Empty
PostSubject: Re: King directly asked Perot i   King directly asked Perot i Icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 10:18 pm

EU to recognise Palestinian state 'when appropriate'

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas spoke to EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton
Continue reading the main story
Israel and the Palestinians

Going nowhere fast?
'Off the record' views from officials
Q&A: Resuming direct talks
Mid-East talks: Where they stand
Foreign ministers from the European Union have said they would recognise a Palestinian state "when appropriate".

The ministers' statement followed a call from Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas for the EU to recognise Palestine based on the 1967 borders.

The EU ministers emphasised the need for a negotiated settlement between Israel and the Palestinians.

Brazil and Argentina recently joined the growing number of countries to recognise Palestine.

More than 100 states around the world recognise Palestine, their mission at the United Nations says.

Collapsed talks
The Palestinian chief negotiator, Saeb Erekat, said Mr Abbas spoke to EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton earlier on Monday.

"[Catherine] Ashton spoke today with President Abbas who called on the EU to take a step towards recognition of the state of Palestine based on the 1967 borders," Mr Erekat said.

Israel occupied the West Bank and the Gaza Strip during the 1967 war. It withdrew its troops from Gaza in 2005.

Direct talks aimed at finding a solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict collapsed in late September after just a few weeks over the issue of Israeli settlement building in occupied Palestinian territories.

The Palestinians have said there is no point in direct negotiations without a freeze in settlement building.

They have been making behind-the-scenes diplomatic moves to secure unilateral recognition since the talks stalled.

The EU foreign policy council "reiterates its readiness, when appropriate, to recognise a Palestinian state", the European foreign ministers' statement said.

They added: "Urgent progress is needed towards a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict."

The statement also said the ministers were disappointed that Israel did not extend its settlement freeze.

"Our views on settlements, including in East Jerusalem, are clear: they are illegal under international law and an obstacle to peace."

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
tienda vestidos de novia
Boyfriend
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1